Forums » News and Announcements

hes done fine in a part-time role

• 2283 posts
    April 24, 2018 7:46 AM +0430

SEATTLE -- Lauren Jackson would have loved nothing more than a chance to don her Seattle Storm uniform and play one more time in front of the teams vocal fans. Michael Conforto Jersey .If I could, I would. But actually, I dont have a knee anymore, she said with a smile at the end of a media roundtable session with longtime teammate Sue Bird. Itd be almost impossible.Instead, the Australian superstar and four-time Olympian settled for being honored and cheered loudly by those fans in KeyArena on Friday night as the team formally retired her uniform after an 80-51 rout of the Washington Mystics.Jacksons No. 15 jersey, the first number retired in the teams 16-year history, was unveiled in the arenas rafters, next to the two banners signifying the WNBA championships she helped win in 2004 and 2010.It was then that the reality -- and finality -- of stepping away from the game hit home with the 35-year-old Jackson.I think the closure in itself is a sad thing. But at least I got to come back, said Jackson, who hadnt been in Seattle since playing her final game in the 2012 WNBA playoffs against Minnesota. It doesnt feel like it has been four years. I wasnt sure I was going to get to get back here. But having the opportunity to come back and retire here is probably the most important thing Ive ever done.Jackson was introduced as a ceremonial sixth starter before the game, and threw several of her basketball shoes into the stands at halftime.I didnt realize how much I missed (Seattle) until I got back in, Jackson said. I did grow up here. I was a little teenager when I got here.Although she didnt play in the WNBA after 2012, Jackson did continue playing overseas. But having dealt with ankle, shin, and back injuries at various points of her career, Jackson announced in a tweet on March 30 that she was calling it quits.The 6-foot-6 Jackson was 19 when she came to Seattle with the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2001 after the Storm went just 6-26 as an expansion team in 2000. During her 12-year career, she scored a team-leading 6,007 points, a total that ranks No. 7 on the WNBAs career list. She also ranks No. 3 in the league for career blocked shots (586) and No. 9 in rebounds (2,447).Jackson was a three-time MVP and was the named to the WNBAs All-Decade team in 2006 as one of the leagues top 10 players. Along with four Olympics for the Australian national team (three silver medals and one bronze), she played in three World Championships, helping the Opals win gold in 2006. Mets Jerseys China . The Lightning are 2-0 so far on a four-game road trip, giving the club five straight wins as the guest and improving Tampas away record this season to 11-8-2. Mookie Wilson Jersey .com) - The Pittsburgh Penguins placed forward James Neal on injured reserve Tuesday. http://www.wholesalemetsjerseys.com/tom-seaver-jersey/ . "It doesnt get any better than that," Giambi said. "Im speechless." The Indians are roaring toward October. Giambi belted a two-run, pinch-hit homer with two outs in the ninth inning to give Cleveland a shocking 5-4 win over the Chicago White Sox on Tuesday night, keeping the Indians up with the lead pack in the AL wild-card race.DETROIT -- Max Scherzer has a lot to be happy about so far this season -- beyond his snazzy 7-0 record. "If I was 0-7 but pitching well and giving the team a chance to win, Id still be as proud of that," Scherzer said. "For me, its all about going out there and making sure that Im pitching deep into games and keeping their offence down, and Ive been doing that for the most part." Scherzer pitched six solid innings to remain undefeated this year, and Avisail Garcia broke the game open with a bases-loaded triple, leading the Detroit Tigers over the Minnesota Twins 6-1 on Sunday. Scherzer, who retired his last 22 batters in a win at Cleveland on Tuesday, allowed a run and three hits Sunday. "Hes added a curveball a little bit more, just another weapon, just kind of a show-me pitch," manager Jim Leyland said. "When he gets in that arm slot and can be repetitive with it, hes pretty nasty." Scherzer struck out six and walked three. Torii Hunter homered for the Tigers, and Prince Fielder drove in a run with a fourth-inning double. Garcia, pinch-hitting in the sixth, cleared the bases to make it 6-1. Mike Pelfrey (3-5) allowed five runs and five hits in 5 2-3 innings. He walked three and struck out five. Minnesota has lost 11 of 12. Scherzer set down the Twins in order in the first, extending his streak of batters retired to 25 before Minnesota drew back-to-back walks to start the second. He is the first Detroit pitcher to start the year 7-0 since Jeremy Bonderman was 8-0 in 2007. "Obviously, its pitching with fastball location, I thought my changeup was good," Scherzer said. "But its keeping them off balance with that curveball that really allows me to have success." Scherzer lowered his ERA to 3.42. "Even when he doesnt have his best stuff, hes really good," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "He almost never elevates the ball and his stuff is moving all over the place. With the guys over there, if you dont get them early, you probably arent going to get them at all." Hunter opened the scoriing in the first with an opposite-field solo homer, and in the fourth, Miguel Cabrera walked and scored on Fielders double. David Wright Jersey. Each of the last six times Cabrera has walked, Fielder has followed with a hit. Cabrera extended his hitting streak to 12 games with a one-out single in the sixth, and Avila later drove him home with a bloop single that fell between three fielders in short left-centre. That hit chased Pelfrey, and after Casey Fien walked Omar Infante to load the bases, the Twins brought in left-hander Caleb Thielbar. Detroit countered with Garcia, who hits right-handed, and he sent a drive to left-centre to bring home three more runs. Garcia is in the majors because of an injury to centre fielder Austin Jackson, and hes done fine in a part-time role. "We would prefer to have him down (in the minors) getting 500 at-bats, because hes such a great prospect," Leyland said. "Hes got a lot of talent, but he needs to play." Drew Smyly pitched 2 1-3 hitless innings of relief for the Tigers to finish the game. Minnesotas only run came in the fifth on an RBI single by Jamey Carroll. NOTES: The longest streak of batters retired by a pitcher this year is 29 by Shelby Miller of St. Louis, according to STATS. On May 10, against Colorado, Miller allowed a leadoff single in the first before retiring the final 27 batters to end the game. Then on May 15, Miller retired the first two New York Mets he faced. ... Hunter needs one more homer to reach 300. ... Leyland said theres no timetable for the return of Jackson, who has been on the DL since May 12 with a pulled left hamstring. RHP Octavio Dotel (right elbow) isnt expected back for a while. ... Minnesota OF Wilkin Ramirez went on the 7-day concussion DL. He left Saturdays game when he was shaken up in an outfield collision. ... Detroit begins a two-game home series with Pittsburgh on Monday. Justin Verlander (5-4) takes the mound for the Tigers against Francisco Liriano (3-0). The Twins play at Milwaukee. Kevin Correia (4-4) is set to start for Minnesota against Wily Peralta (3-5). Cheap Authentic Jerseys Discount NFL JerseysStitched Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Store Wholesale Jerseys 2018 NFL Jerseys From China NFL Jerseys From China ' ' '