Forums » News and Announcements

ournament to return to his K

• 3143 posts
    December 21, 2017 4:28 AM +0330

CLEVELAND -- Brian Hoyer has held off rookie Johnny Manziel for at least another week. Josh Robinson Jersey . Browns coach Mike Pettine has chosen Hoyer to start at quarterback ahead of Manziel in Clevelands second exhibition game on Monday night at Washington against Robert Griffin III and the Redskins. Pettines decision is somewhat surprising since he has stated that the quarterback competition is "open" and Hoyer started the preseason opener last week at Detroit. Pettine has said the two quarterbacks will share the snaps with Clevelands first-team offence against the Redskins. "Its just something right now where we are comfortable with Brian going out there to start the game," Pettine said Thursday. "I think its a little overblown as to who the starter is going to be. The key component, as Ive stated earlier this week, is that we are going to balance the reps. "We will play it a little by ear as it goes on, we havent truly decided as far as the rotation but the goal is, for when we look at the stat sheet at halftime, that they both have the same amount of repetitions and hopefully they both get a good amount of work." Earlier this week, Pettine did not know if the quarterbacks would rotate by series or quarter. Pettine did say Clevelands starter would play "in the neighbourhood" of a half. Hoyer and Manziel have been competing for the starting job since training camp opened last month, and their back-and-forth battle appears to be headed into its final days. Neither QB has taken control of the job, leading to endless speculation about who is leading and who needs to make up ground. Working exclusively with Clevelands starters last week, Hoyer, in his first game action since sustaining a season-ending knee injury in 2013, completed 6 of 14 passes for 92 yards and set up two field goals. Manziel, the immensely popular first-round pick from Texas A&M, only played with the second-stringers and completed 7 of 11 passes for 63 yards. He also rushed for a team-high 27 yards on six carries. Manziels pro debut helped NFL Network set a ratings record for an exhibition game. Pettine said he had no issues with Manziel starting against the Redskins in a nationally televised game expected to draw a large audience. "Im not concerned about Johnny on a big stage," he said. "Hes proved throughout his career he can handle it." Hoyer began camp with a lead on Manziel, but the former Heisman Trophy winner has been closing the gap as he learns offensive co-ordinator Kyle Shanahans detailed system. On Tuesday, the team signed veteran quarterback Rex Grossman, who has played under Shanahan and should be able to help Hoyer and Manziel get more comfortable with the offence. Pettine wants to name his starter for the Sept. 7 season opener at Pittsburgh before the Browns third preseason game on Aug. 23 against St. Louis. Its possible the QBs performances against the Redskins could factor heavily into Pettines decision. NOTES: The Browns did not practice Thursday. Theyll return to the field on Friday morning. ... The team signed LB Caleb McSurdy, originally drafted by Dallas in 2010. The 6-foot-1, 241-pounder spent his rookie season on injured reserve and part of the 2013 season on the Rams practice squad. He played college ball at Montana.Lee Roy Selmon Jersey . Second-seeded Sloane Stephens of the United States made lighter work of her day as she beat 2009 champion and Swiss wild card Timea Bacsinszky 6-3, 6-3. Two seeds fell: No. 4 Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium lost to Katarzyna Piter of Poland 6-4, 6-2, and No. Donovan Smith Jersey . Speaking with TSN 1050 following Brendan Shanahans introductory press conference, the Leafs GM also addressed the clubs perceived leadership issues and the type of working relationship that can be expected within Torontos front office.RIO DE JANEIRO - Rafael Nadal showed no problem with his tender back in his second match since returning from the injury, defeating fellow Spaniard Albert Montanes 6-1, 6-2 to reach the quarterfinals of the Rio Open on Thursday. The No. 1-ranked Nadal tweaked his back warming up for the Australian Open final, which he lost almost four weeks ago in a major upset against Stanislas Wawrinka. His first stop after the layoff is the clay in Rio as he tests the back and tries to stay healthy for the French Open in three months. A year ago he used the Latin American swing to test his recovery from an injured left knee. Nadal seemed to move freely against Montanes and wore a large, blue elastic bandage on his lower back as a precaution. "The back, well, its bothering me a little," Nadal said. "Right now its not hurting my game, but Im serving a little more gently than Im used to doing." Nadal said he pushed his recovery "a little bit" to play in Rio, after pulling out of the tournament the week before in Buenos Aires. "I am here and very happy being here," he said. "When you get an injury in the final of a Grand Slam, and you stop (playing/practicing) for 2 1/2 weeks, the comeback is not easy." Asked if nagging injuries might force an early retirement, the 27-year-old joked a bit before getting serious. "I cant predict the future, but my intention is to play many years," he said. In the other key mens match, third-seeded Fabio Fognini reached the last eight beating Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-3. Second-seeded David Ferrer advanced on WWednesday. Cameron Brate Jersey. Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine advanced to his second quarterfinals of the year, beating Facundo Bagnis of Argentina 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-6 (4). Dolgopolov said he hadnt considered leaving the tournament to return to his Kyiv birthplace, where more than 100 people have died in anti-government protests this week. Government snipers killed at least 70 on Thursday. "Its sad. I cant do much, but just support," he said. "Whoever is right doesnt matter now when people are dying." Dolgopolov, who lives in the wealthy European enclave of Monte Carlo, said he was lucky to have the chance to make money playing tennis. "Obviously I would like the people in the (Ukraine) to feel better. If I could, I would change that," he said. On the womens side of the combined ATP-WTA event, fifth-seeded Kurumi Nara of Japan and Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain set up a quarterfinal matchup after second-round wins. Nara defeated Anna-Lena Friedsam of Germany 6-0, 7-6 (3), and was in sight of her first WTA semifinals. Dominguez Lino beat Chanelle Scheepers of South Africa 2-6, 7-6 (7), 6-1. Nara said she likes the hot weather in Rio and is getting used to the clay. "Now I like the clay court," she said. "Last year, I didnt like it." Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania also made the last eight, as did Brazils Teliana Pereira. She is the first Brazilian woman in 23 years to crack the WTAs top 100. The last was Andrea Vieira. Brazils most famous womens player is Maria Bueno, who won seven Grand Slams singles titles, the last at the US Open in 1966. Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '